How to Privately Sponsor Refugees

The Government of Canada provides assistance to thousands of displaced persons forced to flee their homeland to escape persecution, war or severe human rights abuses every year through its Government-Assisted Refugee (GAR) program. Wesley is funded to provide the GAR program to all government assisted refugees arriving in Hamilton.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents are able to provide additional opportunities for refugees living abroad to find protection and build a new life in Canada through the Private Sponsorship of Refugees (PSR) program.

If you are interested in Privately Sponsoring refugees, please see the information below. To donate to Wesley’s Syrian Refugee Fund to assist in the Private Sponsorship of refugees, click here.

Here you will find some information about the PSR program:

Private Sponsorship (PSR)


Another program available to sponsor refugees is called the Blended Visa Office Referral Program (BVOR):

Blended Visa Referred Program (BVOR)


**It is important to note that in light of the crisis in Syria and Canada’s new Federal Government, changes and amendments are being made to these programs frequently. If you are interested in Private Sponsorship or the BVOR Program, you should check these sites regularly for updates.