Programs in Halton
We have expanded our supports for families, youth, men, women and seniors in the Halton Region!
Halton Housing First:
Halton Housing First has been operated by Wesley Housing and Homelessness since April 1, 2015. This program serves youth and adult male, female and families. The current caseload for this program is housed in Milton, Oakville and Burlington.
The majority of referred individuals and families are living in shelters, motels or their car. Halton Housing First works closely with Halton Housing Help Centre (operated by Hamilton Housing Help Centre and the Halton Region).
Halton Housing First has been highly successful, with a nearly 100% rate of housing retention.
Two New Programs as of April 1, 2017:
- Emergency Family Shelter Program to help those at risk of homelessness or eviction, to regain and maintain housing
- Client Intake & Shelter Diversion Program to divert families from emergency housing to effective and safe alternatives
Did You Know?
- In April of last year, 264 individuals and families were counted as homeless in Halton as part of the nation-wide homeless count
- Unaffordable rents, mental health and addiction issues, family breakdown, loss of employment and prolonged deep poverty are the main reasons for homelessness in Halton
- Since 2015, Wesley has also been operating the Seniors Shopping by Bus program in Burlington. Learn more about this program here or find out how you can volunteer with the Shopping by Bus program here.
For more information about these programs, please contact:
Manager Housing & Homelessness
Director Housing & Homelessness